PDA

View Full Version : Server wipe?

Warprosper
09-28-15, 02:16 PM
Greetings,

I would like to gauge the communities opinion on a server wipe. Over the last few weeks I've been browsing around the public servers (not playing there, just looking) and I've noticed that a lot players flock to servers that have *Wipe in their name. Granted, some of these servers do a weekly wipe, but I'm curious to see how a wipe would fair given our current state.

Some of the members I regularly play with kind of missed out on some things due to a lot of existing infrastructure and ownership, plus it might be fun to start over with some of the newer features.

What does everyone think?

War

BrockSamson
09-28-15, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't argue with it. Do a wipe, change the server name to reflect it and hope we get a bunch of people?

Warprosper
09-28-15, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't argue with it. Do a wipe, change the server name to reflect it and hope we get a bunch of people?

Yea,

We could also look possibly doing a wipe every 60-90 days and have some other settings altered. Something like 2-3x xp and 2x taming speed. Nothing too crazy, and something that wouldn't take 150 hours to max out levels.

CivilWars
09-28-15, 03:14 PM
Wipe of structures and dinos only, or of XP and skills as well?

Warprosper
09-28-15, 03:21 PM
Wipe of structures and dinos only, or of XP and skills as well?

I would say everything. If we do 2x xp It wouldn't take that long to get where you are now. I'd venture a guess and say that it would possibly attract/keep more people if they knew that every wipe they get a chance to change skills and have everyone start on the same page.

Definitely open to suggestions though.

CivilWars
09-28-15, 03:29 PM
Our group tends to play a lot for a few weeks, then take a few weeks off. If we had to start over at 0 every time I don't know how many would want to do that. A structure/dino wipe might be ok, but XP would suck.

CivilWars
09-28-15, 03:34 PM
Also, if you are going to wipe every 30/60/90 days that eliminates the need/desire to build higher tech stuff IMO. We spent a week or more building a large metal base with lots of advanced tech, but if I knew it was all going away in a month I wouldn't do it again.

Warprosper
09-28-15, 03:41 PM
Also, if you are going to wipe every 30/60/90 days that eliminates the need/desire to build higher tech stuff IMO. We spent a week or more building a large metal base with lots of advanced tech, but if I knew it was all going away in a month I wouldn't do it again.

I dunno man. 90 days is a lot of time. How long has our current server been running for? It was just a thought, but it seems like it would be nice to have the ability to, every 90 days rebuild a base in a location you've never built before. Of course we don't have to do this, but at the rate that this game is changing it seems like it would make sense.

Since I started playing, about 45-60 days ago, I've leveled to the point where I have absolutely no need for any of the newer items/dinos that came out within the last 30 days.

With the 2x theory, we could lvl to where we were in a span of 1 week, and by the end of month 1 we could have fully furnished metal bases. You defend that for 2 months and then pursuing more updates, we wipe again. I dunno, maybe this is the wrong approach.

CivilWars
09-28-15, 03:45 PM
I am not saying it is a bad idea as it is just the opinion of myself and maybe a couple of guys that I play with. For people that play (almost) every night it may be a good thing to give them something to do.

BrockSamson
09-28-15, 03:52 PM
The tame rate was already sped up. I don't like the idea of increasing exp gain at all if we are doing a character wipe.

I don't think there needs to be a 'wipe every 3 months' thing. The game is in Alpha and changes like the one today will dictate the appropriate time to wipe until it is out of development. When the game fully releases (if that ever happens) a discussion on when to do wipes would make sense.

I don't want to make the game easy and I like the grind. I want it to take time to build and level because that is satisfying. So that is why I am against making the game easier at all.

If we are keeping characters and just doing a map wipe that is cool. If we are doing a total wipe that is cool as well. I don't want to see XP, dino XP, dino tame rates or gathering rates increase. I also don't want to see all my grinding go to waste every 30 days, that would be silly.

BrockSamson
09-28-15, 03:55 PM
If I were to vote right now what to do... I would vote for wiping everything but characters. I wouldn't get angry or upset if everyone wanted to do a full wipe though. I think the amount of time to gather, build, tame, gain xp on dinos, etc is a huge amount of time and effort as it is.

I would argue against changing any of the server settings.

Warprosper
09-28-15, 04:03 PM
Good info. Keep it coming..

BrockSamson
09-28-15, 04:05 PM
Also, if there was going to be a wipe I would want it to happen as soon as possible. I am not going to bother doing much in game now if we are going to be doing a wipe.

MeenaSan
09-28-15, 04:08 PM
I agree we need a larger population than what we currently have, I am all for working on fixing the issue before it's too late and people lose interest. Buddy has experimented on high pop servers and said that it's difficult even taming a dino without getting crushed, this is not a scenario I would enjoy. I like PvP but not to this extent.

Somewhere in the middle is prefered. That said, I enjoy the grind (maybe I'm old fashioned), I like being rewarded for time put into a game. I understand not everyone has the time I do and they enjoy instant tames and all the dinos they want quickly and easily. I totally get it. Just different play styles I guess.

I am down for adding things in that will increase our chances of attracting more players, I WANT MORE PLAYERS. I like the idea of 2x tame (even I can't stay on for hours taming a high level dino), 2x XP is OK with me, and server wipes every 60 days (gives you enough time to build something substantial). But if you're aiming for what's most popular to get players, then it doesn't need to be asked here. Just pick what all the other top 30 servers are doing if it's all about getting a huge population. If TPGrs don't like it we can always go to a different server. There are plenty servers with a healthy population that don't follow what all the top 30 servers are doing apparently as I've found many.

We all have different play styles and it may not mesh with what's most popular. Currently when I log during day on TPG it's me and maybe 1 other person, sometimes 2. During peak times we have maybe 7 or so on? I'd like to increase that to like 20 players on during peak hours. That's personally my ideal. Which would mean at least 3-4 more tribes to contend with. If changing certain aspects of the server will attract those types of numbers, I will definitely be down with that.

Meena

BrockSamson
09-28-15, 04:13 PM
I don't like increasing the dino tame rate because low level to medium level dinos are easily tamed as it is and the high level stuff 80+ takes awhile but the reward for doing so is awesome. Also, didn't the tame rate just get increased not long ago?

I do agree with you MeenaSan... I don't like the idea of crushing new players or being crushed myself. I think 20 players on during peak hours would be perfect as well. I like my space.

CivilWars
09-28-15, 04:21 PM
My 2 cents on server growth. I am not sure how many randoms look for unofficial servers with low pop where they don't know anyone. My guess is not many. I think our low numbers may have more to do with low numbers than with settings.

Whiskey_Tempest
09-28-15, 04:38 PM
The Decision
We talked about this well in advance of the biome release, full well understanding there would be a substantial map change and as a result, player impact. The decisions were made:
- There will not be a character wipe.
- There will not be a base or dino wipe unless for technical or game balance reasons.

For example:
Base example: Should the resilience of the material qualities be changed, but not retroactively corrected. It wouldn't be fair that post-patch metal walls be of 500 health, while pre-patch metal walls maintained a 15,000 health.

Dino example: Similarly, if dinos underwent a change that fundamentally altered their characteristics that left pre-patch tames with a sizable advantage, that too would be inappropriate.

The Why
* As repeatedly proven time and again, routine wipes in a persistent environment game have a detrimental affect on community retention.
* Neither a Technical or Game Balance reason has manifested since map release that mandates a wipe to preserve fair competition.

Comments
"My base and surrounding area is no longer situated in a location I would have chosen. If I have to relocate, effectively starting over because of something outside of my control, shouldn't that disadvantage apply to everyone equally?"

- You are playing an alpha access product still in development stages; Changes are to be expected. You spend your entertainment hours here with a level of assumed risk.

- A number of advantages are also in your favor:
1) Demolish feature provides the return of a substantial portion of materials in their refined state allowing for easier transport and relocation.

2) Each of us have numerous lessons learned from our experience with game construction, item sizes and capacities and required resources. Tearing down an existing structure for relocation and rebuild provides a "do over" allowing for better design decisions. On the contrary, a wipe would set you further behind and be more discouraging to the player.

A wipe imposes a greater hardship on a greater number of players and does not solve a problem or enhance the intrinsic game play competitiveness.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If we start over fresh, we can more judiciously spend engrams on things that matter and not waste them on items that blueprints would provide"

- An in game mechanic already exists for this [Mind Wipe Tonic]. Harvest the materials, create it, and your character is reset to level 1, yet with all the experience. You can remap all of your engrams and attributes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If we wipe, we can change the game variables such as night cycles, taming speeds, and resource yields to something else I prefer."

- All of these actions can be taken dynamically and do not require a server wipe to implement. The current values are already in place based on community feedback and are always open to adjustment based on future feedback or game changes.

Tl:Dr - We decided not to wipe anything ahead of time and there's still no reason to. Also, wipes don't help population, they hurt.

MeenaSan
09-28-15, 04:58 PM
I agree with Civil. I am not sure how much of changing these numbers will magically gain more people. But I would like to try something at least. Server can't stay the way it is that's for sure, we need more people. If we all stick around for a new server with changed stats, it'll be the same people we have now (plus whoever else is attracted to a fresh server).

Current TPG Server Tribes:
Cave Dwellers (5 active players?)
Tribe of Bob (8 active players)
RLLO (??? no active players atm? - noticed their turrets were destroyed)
WMF (1 active member)
Dinobots (2 tribemates 1 active)
TRex Express (2 tribemates 1 active)
Kellhounds (1 semi-active)
Moeri - (1 member - barely active)

That's it. Basically our tribes (the TPGrs) are what's keeping the server afloat. So whatever changes made to server...as long as we stayed, we're in the same situation with a slightly better chance at getting some new active members. Which seems like a plus to me.

BrockSamson
09-28-15, 05:38 PM
I don't have experience with open world survival games where building is involved... so I can't speak to whether or not wiping the server would bring in new people or not.

Warprosper
09-28-15, 06:56 PM
Tl:Dr - We decided not to wipe anything ahead of time and there's still no reason to. Also, wipes don't help population, they hurt.

Then we will see the same exact thing we've seen with every single Arma or Rust instance we've ever run. Historically, the group dynamic has been a major player in the failure of any given server.

The larger and more progressed the groups get, the large the barriers to entry become. It's going to get to the point where 1 or 2 player groups feel belittled within days and find a new home with a dynamic environment. Our environment isn't dynamic, and it will ultimately cause it to fail. We've been through this many times. I think it's time we try some things that we've stifled in the past.

There's a reason people aren't playing here and maybe Civils' right, but maybe, just maybe, it's because we stick to the same shit that's failed over and over again.

Warprosper
09-28-15, 07:00 PM
The Decision
We talked about this well in advance of the biome release, full well understanding there would be a substantial map change and as a result, player impact. The decisions were made:
- There will not be a character wipe.
- There will not be a base or dino wipe unless for technical or game balance reasons.

Where was this decision made?

dex71
09-28-15, 07:10 PM
And who is "We"?

CivilWars
09-28-15, 07:51 PM
People will stick around for other people. If nobody in my tribe is logging in I likely won't either. If I joined as a small tribe and there were no other active tribes on the server I/we would go to another. You have to hit critical mass for a server to grow naturally. How we hit that mass I do not know other than posting to reddit and other marketing.

BrockSamson
09-28-15, 09:12 PM

I want to say him and Krom talked about it.

I am wondering if it would be a good idea to change the server name first to reflect the settings that would draw new people in (2.5x tame, whatever gather and exp are set to) then have the message of the day or whatever have teamplayergaming.com and the TS server on it?

See if that brings anyone new in. Maybe do it in time for this weekend?

Kanati
09-28-15, 09:15 PM
well hell. we all know Krom is just WRONG. :D

Warprosper
09-28-15, 09:49 PM
I want to say him and Krom talked about it.

I am wondering if it would be a good idea to change the server name first to reflect the settings that would draw new people in (2.5x tame, whatever gather and exp are set to) then have the message of the day or whatever have teamplayergaming.com and the TS server on it?

See if that brings anyone new in. Maybe do it in time for this weekend?

We will see what we can do. Maybe put some of our settings in there. 2.5x tame and some other stuff that would attract.

Just make sure we're somewhat welcoming to new players as we see them come in.

BrockSamson
09-28-15, 10:14 PM
I have to say if anything the people that play are very friendly. Only recently has any real raiding happened and that was with well established people... nobody new.

I don't think you will have to worry about anyone killing new players on sight... that isn't fun for anyone.

Demonofspeed07
09-29-15, 12:37 PM
Both members of dinobots are active, unless work gets in the way. We are also looking to add a few members so if anyone new comes on we will be extending an invite.

visuvius
09-29-15, 12:52 PM
If we want to seriously attract more players we're going to need to ramp up the marketing efforts. The server name change is an easy one but I think, like Civil mentioned, some of the popular servers advertise and we would need to do that. Meena showed me one that had like a facebook page and they advertised on reddit all the time. Unlike FPS games and other shit where choosing a server to play on is easy, with these types of games its a little harder for the new guy coming in. You'll be playing with the same people for a while so how do you choose who to play with? People seem to be more open to advertising so we should look into that if you guys really want to attract people.

KromMonkey
09-29-15, 02:03 PM
IMO, resetting the instance is not going to get a lot as the population is nil and degradation is on. Changing the name may get some more hits but where you are going to attract players is by butts in seats. Now if the population grows and the landscape becomes flooded with player structures a wipe could be warranted at specific points.

If the current player base said they would be good with a wipe then go for it as the wipe will be more for them then it will be for a pubber. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other but I also don't think a wipe is a negative thing. If one is done, announce it and move on.

As for Whiskey's comments, we may have talked in TS but there was no decision made. I have not played ARK in a few weeks so I would not feel comfortable making a cart blanche decision like that. Anyhow, the bioms are out some are impacted and some are not so lets make a call and do it.

BrockSamson
09-29-15, 02:22 PM
Has TPG considered being vocal about the servers it hosts? As in making posts on Reddit, related forums, idk. I don't really do the social media thing... but I can imagine if there was a presence on Facebook, twitter, reddit, or whatever it would go a long way.

I thought about what I would do to find a server and I would just google it. So I typed the following:

"ARK, PVP, Friendly, Team speak".... it was ALL steam community and reddit hits for people advertising their ARK server.

I don't think its worth doing a wipe or changing the server name if the effort isn't going to be put in to draw more people in. It should be easy. There is already a server, there is already TeamSpeak, there is already a community forum with people that post about the game... you would think we have a huge leg up compared to some start up group of people.

Warprosper
09-29-15, 02:31 PM
Has TPG considered being vocal about the servers it hosts? As in making posts on Reddit, related forums, idk. I don't really do the social media thing... but I can imagine if there was a presence on Facebook, twitter, reddit, or whatever it would go a long way.

I thought about what I would do to find a server and I would just google it. So I typed the following:

"ARK, PVP, Friendly, Team speak".... it was ALL steam community and reddit hits for people advertising their ARK server.

I don't think its worth doing a wipe or changing the server name if the effort isn't going to be put in to draw more people in. It should be easy. There is already a server, there is already TeamSpeak, there is already a community forum with people that post about the game... you would think we have a huge leg up compared to some start up group of people.

It would seem as though we have a good leg up, but our population in the game isn't that great. The advertising could very well work, but what exactly are we going to advertise? A server with 3 big groups that's already established or a server with a fresh wipe that welcomes new players?

CivilWars
09-29-15, 02:37 PM
If what you claim is true that everything we know/have can be redone in a week what exactly does a wipe get us other than a week of regrinding for those who do play? Anyone new who doesn't join within a day or two of the wipe is going to be behind the groups who play regularly anyway.

Warprosper
09-29-15, 02:44 PM
If what you claim is true that everything we know/have can be redone in a week what exactly does a wipe get us other than a week of regrinding for those who do play? Anyone new who doesn't join within a day or two of the wipe is going to be behind the groups who play regularly anyway.

You could level that fast, absolutely, but if i recall, I said you'd be back to having metal bases within a month, not a week.

You can be pessimistic about it all you wan't but at least it gives a chance. We have several people who are willing to go outside the realm and advertise/promote the server. What else can we do at this point. Let things sit the way they are? Let the 3 large groups duke it out and get bored? At least we're trying something here.

Christ, it's nothing but double edged swords around here.

CivilWars
09-29-15, 02:55 PM
I am just asking a question, holy shit. Do whatever you want, and we will play, or we won't.

BrockSamson
09-29-15, 03:02 PM
Anyways....

Who are the volunteers for promoting the server? Just curious who is going to head that up and if they wanted input.

Warprosper
09-29-15, 03:03 PM
Anyways....

Who are the volunteers for promoting the server? Just curious who is going to head that up and if they wanted input.

Working out the details on that one. Feel free to submit any ideas though, also don't hesitate to get the word out.

BrockSamson
09-29-15, 03:06 PM
I think once the final decisions are made on the server settings and server title that would be the time to make a full court press on reddit and the steam community. Also, we wouldn't want to advertise a server wipe if the vote turns out to not wipe.

Demonofspeed07
09-29-15, 03:06 PM
I will do what's needed Brock, let me know. Also shouldn't we all plan a pooplympics or something to get the population up, if we all get on one evening it could be close to 20? Or so.

Warprosper
09-29-15, 03:09 PM
I am just asking a question, holy shit. Do whatever you want, and we will play, or we won't.

I'm not trying to be a dick man, but it seems as though you have something to add to everything. We don't change, you give us shit. We suggest change, you give us shit. We need solutions and ambition, not "this won't work" "that won't work" Let's try to be constructive here,lets look into some other alternatives. The advertising notion is good, let's roll with that.

If the server wipes on Monday, that gives us ample time to get the word out on a fresh server. Also gives us opportunity to load the thing up on, say...next Friday or Saturday.

CivilWars
09-29-15, 03:18 PM
Whatever you say boss.

BrockSamson
09-29-15, 03:19 PM
I will do what's needed Brock, let me know. Also shouldn't we all plan a pooplympics or something to get the population up, if we all get on one evening it could be close to 20? Or so.

NOM has at least that many playing on the server... right? haha

Demonofspeed07
09-29-15, 03:20 PM
That's even better then lol.

MeenaSan
09-29-15, 03:37 PM
I posted in the Server Wipe Vote on some thoughts for population. Take a look at some ideas (http://www.teamplayergaming.com/ark/126234-server-wipe-october-5th-vote-options.html#post2117187) (I think we should consider early basic server rules). For example, TRex Express tribe was pretty pissed they were raided while offline and thought our server didn't play PVO (which doesn't bother me btw - just using it as example). Setting up some rules in the beginning may help attract people to an established admin-watched server.

- Meena

BrockSamson
09-29-15, 04:03 PM
I may or may not of been part of that raid.... :). They did build up huge walls around one of the caves and they have to expect that you are going to upset people about that.

anywayssss your point is valid, they thought (because it had not happened before on the server) that offline base raiding was not allowed.

CleverGeek
09-29-15, 04:24 PM
Soft rules like when/how a base can be raided are extremely hard to enforce without much modding and tons of admin support. You can suggest server etiquette but without someone providing video proof to admin, it becomes hard to police.

Personal preference aside I think the configuration we set needs to make our server more accessible to the casual gamer. Yet still balance with rewards for those who play more (ie. increased taming/gathering but maybe slightly less increase on XP or maintain characters after wiping).

Currently we are running at 1.5x gather, 2.5x taming and 1.5x XP (I believe). My suggestion is we double the current settings so 3x gather, 5x taming and 3x XP. As War said these can be fluid and we can adjust as needed if something is too over powered.

This isn't a new path for TPG we have seen this with many servers in the past and sometimes the modifications come too late and the server can't be saved. I don't want this to happen to Ark as I believe with all of its updates this is a game that could remain fresh for a long time.

I like the community aspect that people are commenting on but much of that becomes very tricky to manage/maintain. I am willing to help out on a Reddit/Steam community to attempt to get more population. Perhaps we need to recruit more from within TPG as well? I know there are some people who played a lot initially and have slowed, perhaps with the biome changes and our server changing it will increase its appeal.

I am all for the wipe for the server.. start fresh and I believe it needs to happen every 30-60 days as the community sees fit.

Anyways, that's my thoughts!

CleverGeek
09-29-15, 04:27 PM

NoM has a lot of people on but I think with the changes you will definitely see us break into different factions. The more farm/PVE players and the more PVP group. Not to say we wouldn't be allies but we have different play styles.

BrockSamson
09-29-15, 07:11 PM
@DemonOfSpeed07 Let me know what I can do to help. I don't have a ton of time but it doesn't take a lot to make a few posts.

@CleverGeek I see what you are saying about accessibility but I don't know if I agree it has to be that way. ARK isn't the type of game a casual player plays, right? Obviously those settings are what is popular but I just don't want to see every player with lvl 100+ TRex hordes. Although, if it did draw in more people and more PVP maybe it would balance itself out? idk

BuddyLee.
09-29-15, 09:38 PM
I play on another server that has 1.5x modifier. They enforce rules to reduce griefing. 10 to 30 players always on. I have had my base raided, neither me or my dinosaurs were killed. They took everything a had stored, including items on me. I don't know how many admins they have, but 1 is always on. So far the server has been a great experience.

BL

BuddyLee.
09-30-15, 08:43 AM
To add on.

Our server should have a rule set to reduce griefing. Also, TPG will have to enforce them with active admins. The official server is wild wild west full of griefers. Example rules. No ecessive spawn killing, aka patrolling shorelines. No blocking or building on high value resources, including salting.

BL

BrockSamson
09-30-15, 10:36 AM
To add on.

Our server should have a rule set to reduce griefing. Also, TPG will have to enforce them with active admins. The official server is wild wild west full of griefers. Example rules. No ecessive spawn killing, aka patrolling shorelines. No blocking or building on high value resources, including salting.

BL

We would only be making rules to put new players at ease... this is not a problem on the server now. I don't think anyone that is an admin on the server would need to worry about anything unless griefing actually does become a problem.

Also..

"I have had my base raided, neither me or my dinosaurs were killed. They took everything a had stored, including items on me."

I don't agree that there should be rules to only raid with a minimal impact to the player. If they had destroyed you, your base and your dinos I wouldn't consider that griefing or a dick move... its raiding. Now if they followed you around the map and smashed you every time you tamed a dino and built a modest base even then there probably wouldn't need to be a rule because the big factions (Nom or Cave Dwellers) are the types that would be willing to help you squash whatever group is doing that to you. I think advertising ourselves as 'Friendly PVP' is all that needs to be done. The culture here is such that we haven't needed admins to step in. But, in that situation where I am talking about someone following you around and destroying everything you create... I could get on board with posting a rule about not griefing so its clear that this isn't a grief-happy official server.

BuddyLee.
09-30-15, 11:15 AM
Exactly! Sucks putting time into a server only to find out, you will be crushed before given a chance. If the rules are clear, up front and enforced, players will know what to expect.

I don't like increased xp, tames, etc. I joined on server with 5x and came across a base with 9 tree and 9 spinos lined up. They had rules i didn't like. Example. No offline raiding period. Had to declare war and have the other tribe except first. So everyone would hide all there goodie away before hand.

BL

Kanati
09-30-15, 11:22 AM
Exactly! Sucks putting time into a server only to find out, you will be crushed before given a chance. If the rules are clear, up front and enforced, players will know what to expect.

I don't like increased xp, tames, etc. I joined on server with 5x and came across a base with 9 tree and 9 spinos lined up. They had rules i didn't like. Example. No offline raiding period. Had to declare war and have the other tribe except first. So everyone would hide all there goodie away before hand.

BL

Germany: POLAND!!! WE DECLARE ZE WARZ ON JOO!!!

Poland. Nope. Nopenopenope.

Poland has gone offline.

Germany: SCHEISSE!!!!

WWII has been called off.

MeenaSan
09-30-15, 01:26 PM
Well the upside to a rule like not completely demolishing someone's entire base is they won't rage quit. If someone took months to build something you destroy in minutes because it's fun riding your trex...I mean first of all, why is that necessary? It's not. You're doing it for the fun of it, period. Raiding to me is about getting their loot, killing dinos, and breaking down their defenses to do this. Thus making them focus on dinosaur taming and rebuilding. You already win. And honestly if it were me that got my base completely destroyed I'd consider quitting at that point. Especially if there are tribes so much larger than my own, why bother building if it'll get demolished to nothing again by a stronger tribe? (I am thinking of Dinobots who at this point have been raided 3x and seem to no longer log). Where is the fun there for me as the defender? Or for the attacker really? I do consider this griefing.

As a member of a strong tribe on the current server, I personally do not believe in destroying bases like this. First of all it unnecessary to the game and quite frankly just plain rude. You gain nothing from doing this unless your goal is to make people quit or send them back so far to the stone age they can never catch up to you. And if that's the goal then what is the point of friendly competition? You're eliminating any competition to yourself period.

By leaving some of the base up that tribe can see where we came in, their weakness, and what to improve on. It's better for the server as a whole.

But I know some members of my tribe disagree with me on this one.

- Meena

Warprosper
09-30-15, 01:36 PM
Well the upside to a rule like not completely demolishing someone's entire base is they won't rage quit. If someone took months to build something you destroy in minutes because it's fun riding your trex...I mean first of all, why is that necessary? It's not. You're doing it for the fun of it, period. Raiding to me is about getting their loot, killing dinos, and breaking down their defenses to do this. Thus making them focus on dinosaur taming and rebuilding. You already win. And honestly if it were me that got my base completely destroyed I'd consider quitting at that point. Especially if there are tribes so much larger than my own, why bother building if it'll get demolished to nothing again by a stronger tribe? (I am thinking of Dinobots who at this point have been raided 3x and seem to no longer log). Where is the fun there for me as the defender? Or for the attacker really? I do consider this griefing.

As a member of a strong tribe on the current server, I personally do not believe in destroying bases like this. First of all it unnecessary to the game and quite frankly just plain rude. You gain nothing from doing this unless your goal is to make people quit or send them back so far to the stone age they can never catch up to you. And if that's the goal then what is the point of friendly competition? You're eliminating any competition to yourself period.

By leaving some of the base up that tribe can see where we came in, their weakness, and what to improve on. It's better for the server as a whole.

But I know some members of my tribe disagree with me on this one.

- Meena

I couldn't agree with you more.

Kanati
09-30-15, 05:05 PM
The fun... is driving your enemies before you and listening to the lamentations of their women.

Merritt
10-01-15, 04:54 PM
Man I thought I accidentally stepped into some weird Arma Epoch wipe discussion. You might pick up a couple of people on a wipe but the only way to fill a server is to have a bunch of people in a server. Get the numbers and more will come. As far as making the server fresh just set up some kind of schedule for server wipes if that is needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk