PDA

View Full Version : Hamid Karzai says.......

-Sauso-
04-05-10, 11:18 PM
" Afghan President Hamid Karzai twice threatened to quit politics and join the Taliban if the West continued to pressure him to enact reforms, legislators said Monday."

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/04/05/karzai-kandahar.html

bust331
04-05-10, 11:21 PM
LOL

:D

-Sauso-
04-05-10, 11:37 PM
It's a gong show over there with no real direction.

I forget the town's name, but about a year ago US Marines cleared and took control of it. Few months later a "good" Taliban member was named mayor.

This whole counter insurgency was fine and dandy at the start, but it has gone on sooo long with nothing to show for it.

now what.?

***COMMANDER***
04-06-10, 05:21 PM
" Afghan President Hamid Karzai twice threatened to quit politics and join the Taliban if the West continued to pressure him to enact reforms, legislators said Monday."

Well, then he needs to do his job.... and to do that, you gotta be tough with the enemy, unless you are already in bed with them, but of course, if you want to go join the Taliban, then by all means, you better write out your last will and testament first, because they are and are going to be destroyed.

digital
04-06-10, 05:51 PM
I see terrorist going down Akbakalaka Drive.

Shoot Him!

CivilWars
04-06-10, 06:00 PM
The Taliban will never be destroyed. That is like saying the crips and bloods will be destroyed, how is that working? As sonn as you kill 1, 2+ more want to avenge that death.

***COMMANDER***
04-07-10, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't be so sure of that.... If/when we do go to an all out assault to hunt and kill and erradicate all of the Taliban, then there won't be enough to group up and do squat.... We are not at that phaze at this point, but I believe soon coming.

Right now, we are just defending areas and killing those that want to come and attack and occasionally when they group to stage an attack, we attack that staging area, which basically is keeping them on the run and disrupting their communications and planning.

We need a new president in Afghanistan, because Hamid Karzai is not going to get the job done and make the politcal changes that need to be done.

Prime example:

Taliban kidnapper released early
By Kate Clark
BBC News
A Taliban commander who was jailed for kidnapping foreigners in Kabul was released early, the BBC has learnt.

Akbar Agha was sentenced to 16 years in prison for kidnapping three UN workers in the Afghan capital in 2004. He was released from prison late last year.

His friends told the BBC he had been pardoned by President Hamid Karzai. But a spokesman said the president "could not recall the matter".

The UN staff were the first foreigners to be kidnapped in Kabul.

One was a woman from Northern Ireland, the other two were men from Kosovo and the Philippines.

They were released after nearly a month in captivity.

Akbar Agha had used the kidnap to launch a Taliban splinter group, Jaish-ul-Muslimeen or The Army of Muslims.

But he and the kidnap gang were arrested and Akbar Agha was given a long jail sentence.

The BBC has now discovered that Agha was quietly freed late last year, possibly just before the festival of Eid al-Adha in mid-November. The UN is understood to have learnt about the release in the summer.

Eide 'irritated'

Friends said President Karzai had pardoned him, on condition that he stayed in Kabul.

“ The president didn't raise it with me and I didn't raise it with him ”
Former UN envoy Kai Eide

A presidential spokesman told the BBC that he had looked into the records of pardons and had not been able to find any mention of this case.

No announcement was made, but the former head of the United Nations in Afghanistan, Kai Eide, said he had been informed about the planned release.

"Concerning the question if I would approve of this pardon, I'm not giving acceptance - that would have been complete madness," Mr Eide said.

"The chief justice should call or write to me directly. I was irritated… This was not an acceptable channel. The president didn't raise it with me and I didn't raise it with him."

The British embassy said it could not comment on whether it had been informed.

One of Akbar Agha's friends - who went to welcome him out of jail - said that people from Kandahar had been demanding his release for a long time.

"Akbar Agha is from a spiritual family - that is why they wanted him released.

"He was pardoned on condition that he stays in Kabul. The government's paying the rent on his house - I think it's about $1,000 a month."

Threat to justice

Michael Semple - who worked for the European Union in Kabul and was at the heart of the operation to free the hostages - told the BBC that it was extremely unlikely that Akbar Agha was released as part of the reconciliation process with the Taliban.

"He headed up a splinter group which tried to turn the jihad into business. He acted outside the authority of Mullah Omar and the Taliban," he said.

"They did not condone kidnapping and did not approve of his actions and frankly I suspect they were rather happy to see him locked up. That probably helped them discipline the insurgency and maintain control over the organisation."

Afghan Human Rights Commissioner Nader Naderi said that he had been shocked - but not surprised by the pardon.

"So many are now being given," he said. "If it's used without the public knowledge and not transparent, it can undermine justice... most of those people who are powerful have access to the president and can buy their way out."

Other controversial pardons which have come to light have been given to major drug traffickers and rapists.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/south_asia/8606492.stm

Published: 2010/04/07 13:55:49 GMT

© BBC MMX

Print Sponsor
Advertisement

jason_jinx
04-07-10, 10:25 AM
LOL
;D

I dont think that region will ever accept our ways. Its a lost cause but yea go ahead keep sending more bodies in.

"Its for our freedom!"
" Its the right thing to do!"

If you want to prevent terrorist attacks focus all the defense here on US soil. Come to think of it they are always making new arrests so I would say they are doing a good job already.

Unless its all made up.......

***COMMANDER***
04-07-10, 10:36 AM
Now why would one even fathom to think of letting a terrorist organization organize and plan and then act the plan on us again, like they did in 9/11?

When, you can go and disrupt their planning, organizing, training and keep them scattered and on the run and pick off their leaders, one by one and kill large groups of them that decide that they want to come and fight....

An effective offensive force is your best defensive force.....

CivilWars
04-07-10, 10:40 AM
Now why would one even fathom to think of letting a terrorist organization organize and plan and then act the plan on us again, like they did in 9/11?

When, you can go and disrupt their planning, organizing, training and keep them scattered and on the run and pick off their leaders, one by one and kill large groups of them that decide that they want to come and fight....

An effective offensive force is your best defensive force.....

I guess it depends on your definition of "effective". If your goal is to primarily keep the enemy on their soil then maybe we are being effective. If the goal is to eliminate terrorists you will never win.

Consultant
04-07-10, 11:47 AM
It's like killing weeds in your lawn...you pull the ones you see, you spray to kill the ones you dont see, and you treat the area as much as you can to prevent the ones who aren't there yet from taking root, but the wind will always carry in seeds from your neighbor's yard.

***COMMANDER***
04-07-10, 11:49 AM
I disagree to an extent.... I understand, that you cannot eliminate 100%, but you can destroy the biggest bulk of them and deter others from wanting to be in that group, especially when they see it is death fast coming, especially when they see large numbers of them being killed daily and the picture shows that their movement is going nowhere, except the grave.

We are not at that phase yet, because of the political nature of the present there... but that is soon to change or advance.

Also, when you go in and destroy the "home" terrorist groups their, they can easily be contained and we have made a huge impact there, but what we are still dealing with is that foreign terrorist are coming in across the border to join the fight with the damaged groups that are just getting stomped.... So to eliminate that, you either go to them and destroy their facilities and training and planning camps or you do what we do and that is to send in drones and cut the heads off of the snakes, like picking off their leaders one by one and 4 or 5 of their top advisors in the same strike....

Take out their leadership and the group becomes disfunctional and the infighting spurs and the groups fall apart and scatter.....

So, no where ever did anybody say this was an easy job and it takes time and hard work.....

To skip the time and hard work, then you need an all out furious attack and that means crossing borders and hunting them all and destroying them all and in order to do that, you need those countries where they dwell to grant you that access or you have to control that government...... It can get ugly, but if we pull up our nutsacks and get to the point to where we have had enough of trying to please everyone and do what we have to do in Iran, Pakistan, and Afghanistan, then we will save ourselves a lot of time and money and in the end game, it will be better for all, most especially including the people of Afghanistan, Iran, and Pakistan,,,,, Just like Iraq.

CivilWars
04-07-10, 11:54 AM
We have been in Iraq and Afghanistan how long? I would bet there are as many, or more, "terrorists" in the region now than there were 10 years ago. Death is not effective as a deterrent because it is martyrdom, which is the ultimate way to go, and revenge is a powerful motivator. We could keep sending troops to the Middle East forever, and there would still be people that oppose us there.

CivilWars
04-07-10, 11:57 AM
If you want to rid the world of terrorists, gang members, or any other group that opposes the "status quo" you have to prove to them that your way is better for them than their way. In this case our way is viewed by them as oppression by the "infidels" which will never be better, so the battle never ends.

Xavsnipe
04-07-10, 12:21 PM
It's just like when the Spanish came and colonized the America's. Spaniards brought catholicism, civilization etc. in their eyes. In the Indian's eyes they were foreign invaders trying to impose their way of life...and all they brought was death and destruction of their(Indian) civilization.

The only way to get rid of the indian insurgents was to kill them and outbreed them....exterminate them to such an extent that they couldn't breed anymore and mixed with the invaders (mestizos). And that's how the indians were eradicated from this land and catholicism and 'civilization' took a strong foothold.

-Sauso-
04-07-10, 12:22 PM
A poll done by the Canadian Military came up with this;

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/04/06/taliban-support-poll.html

Consultant
04-07-10, 01:09 PM
Terrorists are like Klingons...they are convinced that death in battle is honorable and their leaders feed on this to motivate them to die as "warriors".

w4jchosen
04-07-10, 01:21 PM
It's like what was told to Captain Kirk, "Captain the Klingons are circling Uranus".