PDA

View Full Version : Teachers, students, theorists and debaters...

Consultant
04-16-10, 07:44 AM
What do you think about this?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-04-15-IHE-tough-prof-removed-LSU-15_ST_N.htm

The University removed this woman for being too hard...what do you think?

dex71
04-16-10, 07:57 AM
I'm smelling shit between the lines.

Entry-Level science....I wonder if there were any athletes who were going to be affected?......

It just seems odd that they would take such a drastic step with little to no investigation. No sitting in on classes,no talking to her,and it was early in the course. There is something that is missing.

SapiensErus
04-16-10, 08:45 AM
I have been complaining about school being too easy for years.

I work my ass off and study a lot which helps me to learn. When I became a TA for a professor who I had studied under for a few years, I assisted him in grading papers. I was appalled by how easy he was grading them and realized I could have worked one-quarter as hard as I had and still had A's.

In reading the article, a few things stick out. First, people had issues with certain topics in biology, with Evolution being the foremost. Evolution is an important concept in the field of biology but it is a tiny little fragment; I cannot imagine any professor spending enough time on that one topic to make it difficult or grade-determinant. Further, the concepts and evidence for evolution are very easy to understand and do not require any outside-the-box thinking or calculations, etc. I don't see how evolution could be a "hard" topic. It is also one of the first topics covered in any college biology curriculum, right after the scientific method.

The other thing that sticks out to me is the last paragraph:

But many other comments about the course standards were positive, with several students specifically praising Homberger's advice that they form study groups. One student wrote: "My biggest 'AHA' reaction in this course is that I need to study for this course every night to make a good grade. I must also attend class, take good notes, and have study sessions with others. Usually a little studying can get me by but not with this class which is why it is my 'AHA' reaction."

Well duh! I encourage students to form study groups because it helps everyone to learn and those who are in study groups typically get better grades. And studying routinely, taking good notes and attendance are a ten on the no-shit scale for doing well in a class.

I revel in the tutelage of a difficult instructor because I will learn a lot.

School has become about checking the block and not about learning, and instructors like this should be cultivated and encouraged; they are bringing learning back to education. Ultimately, I want to be a professor, and I will be a hard professor. Apparently I should be wary if I want to hold students to high standards; and that is wrong.

hawgballs
04-16-10, 08:52 AM
I don't think this professor deserves this type of treatment. She either stepped on somebody's toes, or has a couple big donor's children in her class that don't want to study or do the work required to pass this professor's class. It is a shame. And this is pretty scary,...........

Even for those who, like Homberger, are tenured, there is a risk of losing the ability to stick to your standards, he said, Teaching geology, he said, there are students who get upset when he talks about the actual age of the earth and about evolution. "Now students can complain to a dean" and have him removed, Elwood said. "I worry that my ability to teach in the classroom has been diminished."

Keiron
04-16-10, 11:39 AM
Sounds a bit harsh from what I read. "Other" reasons for letting her go? Not bringing in enough $? That sounds pretty lame either way you look at it.

I've had plenty of hard professors in the past. I'll work my ass off to get my As though. It really isn't too hard. Just means you have to give something up usually. Less party time, or going out, or sleep in some cases.

People today just don't want to do the work. Hell I get glares from my classmates when I bring something up to the professor that they might have forgotten to cover or go over. I don't care if other people want to leave early. I am paying big bucks to get a good, quality education, so I better damn well be getting my monies worth one way or another. The more challenging the class, the more I tend to learn.

Her exams sounded difficult, but the first one always is with any professor/class you are new too. Learn from the first one and adjust for the next exam.

BigHub
04-16-10, 11:44 AM
My favorite tests are the essays..

Total of 10 questions, and each question = ~2 page response.

Those are fun. ::)

flame
04-16-10, 12:37 PM
I loved the classes where I failed the first half of the semester and really had to bust ass studying to pull out a B. I failed once, best thing that ever happened. I retook the class and came away with 10x more knowledge. Some of my other classes I wish the professors were harder, I would have learned more or even failed and retook them.

QuickLightning
04-16-10, 12:44 PM
I always loved tests in engineering courses. There might only be one or two questions, but you're going to spend 2 hours or so trying to properly answer them drawing out the signal waves, states of various transistors, effect on the hardware etc.

By the end of them, you (and the professor) would really know who actually understands the material. There is no BSing that kind of question.

SOPEK
04-16-10, 02:01 PM
I had a professor like that.

Dr. Woodcock-political Science

(and that's all I'm saying...I can still smell the vomit of my turkey sandwich from looking at my midterm.)

Ok... fine... I'll tell you this though,

I come to appreciate his High standards. :9

8Gigs8
04-16-10, 02:03 PM
I always loved tests in engineering courses. There might only be one or two questions, but you're going to spend 2 hours or so trying to properly answer them drawing out the signal waves, states of various transistors, effect on the hardware etc.

By the end of them, you (and the professor) would really know who actually understands the material. There is no BSing that kind of question.

There are times you wish you could BS though. Engineering tests are ridiculously fun that way though. When you do get the answer right. It's like you won a war with the professor. Good times.

As for this case, for an intro class to be that hard is one, sort of weird in itself. I can understand if it was later in reqs/upper div, but intro? Theres no reason for it....that being said, she shouldn't be removed for it either. I'm assuming its what someone said earlier, its about athletes. At LSU, intro classes...yeah, I'm sure a few of their football or basketball players were in it, ended up not doing very well, and they needed to raise the grades. But thats just me.

DJ Ms. White
04-16-10, 02:34 PM
I'm pretty much in agreement with Soy. Some college classes are too easy. I wouldn't have minded having my bio class be a little harder so I actually had to study for an A. That being said, even with 10 choices per question...I mean come on...it's fucking entry level biology...a trained monkey could pass and get at least a C. If you can't pass an entry level class, then what are you doing in college in the first place?

CivilWars
04-16-10, 03:41 PM
You would be surprised. I talk to college students, and graduates, every day who struggle with, "What is your country of citizenship?" Here's a hint, it isn't Houston OR Texas.

DJ Ms. White
04-16-10, 06:03 PM
:3