Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 51 to 58 of 58

Thread: EBT Cards

  1. Registered TeamPlayer CivilWars's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-13-07
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    42,785
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5
    Stat Links

    EBT Cards EBT Cards EBT Cards EBT Cards EBT Cards EBT Cards EBT Cards
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: CivilWars CivilWars's Originid: CivilWars
    #51

    Re: EBT Cards

    Yes, but what I question is the method for calculating cheaters. Back to my example before the independent investigation people using cards for extended periods of time outside their home state weren't in the "cheater" metric. What other types of cheaters are outside the measured "cheater metric"? If the estimates of 1-2% were accurate then you would virtually never see a "cheater" on a random trip to the grocery/convenience store. On average when I go to the store I see maybe 2-3 people in line ahead of me, and not all of them use EBT cards. That means that on average I would see someone that was "cheating" once every 100+ trips to the store. Based on my own data collection I can confirm it is more frequent. Maybe I just shop at the wrong stores though, and get lucky.


  2. Registered TeamPlayer
    Join Date
    07-21-09
    Posts
    4,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stat Links

    EBT Cards EBT Cards
    #52

    Re: EBT Cards

    Quote Originally Posted by CivilWars View Post
    Yes, but what I question is the method for calculating cheaters. Back to my example before the independent investigation people using cards for extended periods of time outside their home state weren't in the "cheater" metric. What other types of cheaters are outside the measured "cheater metric"? If the estimates of 1-2% were accurate then you would virtually never see a "cheater" on a random trip to the grocery/convenience store. On average when I go to the store I see maybe 2-3 people in line ahead of me, and not all of them use EBT cards. That means that on average I would see someone that was "cheating" once every 100+ trips to the store. Based on my own data collection I can confirm it is more frequent. Maybe I just shop at the wrong stores though, and get lucky.

    The 2% or 4% figure is a percent of money, not a percent of individuals. If I'm reading the USDA site correctly, a 2% trafficking rate means 2 cents of every dollar, not 2 of every 100 card users.

    That's only one sort of error/fraud. Some of the links from a previous post explain how they measure different sorts of errors and/or fraud.

    I also have anecdotal evidence (shit I've seen, or people I know) that I haven't brought up yet (because, though it might interesting, it doesn't really pertain). When you're shopping at the wrong stores, what sorts of cheating do you see?



  3. Registered TeamPlayer deathgodusmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-16-07
    Location
    Winter Springs, Florida
    Posts
    25,231
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stat Links

    EBT Cards EBT Cards EBT Cards EBT Cards
    #53

    Re: EBT Cards

    Quote Originally Posted by AetheLove View Post
    This brings me to my point: what the hell is bothering you lately? All you can say is "no", "not possible", and "can't be done."

    Cheers,


    AetheLove
    As for the example that you used basic math skills for what as i said it would be a more accurate answer. The variables are very small size of jar and size of beans. Calculating the amount of speeders on the road is a far more complex process of which most are not within eye shot like those jelly beans.

    As for whats bothering me lately let me know when you want a real answer. Until then consider the statement that im sure you've heard of dont ask questions you dont really want answers to.
    Last edited by deathgodusmc; 07-04-14 at 10:40 PM.

  4. Registered TeamPlayer [CoFR]SirMoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-07-09
    Location
    Pegasus Galaxy
    Posts
    1,560
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    Stat Links

    EBT Cards EBT Cards EBT Cards EBT Cards
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: SirMoo
    #54

    Re: EBT Cards

    Fermi problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If you know what you're doing, estimation is easy, and often quite accurate, it all depends on which components were estimated to a correct degree. The more famous story about Fermi of course was while he was observing it, he tried to estimate the energy of the Trinity nuclear bomb test by dropping some pieces of paper from his hand as he felt the shockwave from the explosion. From the distance the paper traveled, he estimated that the bomb produced about 10 kilotons of TNT's worth of energy. The betting pool at Los Alamos at the time was favoring a theoretical yield of around 45 kiloton. The actual measured yield from Trinity was eventually published as approximately 20 kilotons.

    Based on this year's annual global fraud survey by Kroll, insider fraud in US companies cost an average of 1.2% of revenue. Globally the average cost of fraud was 1.4% of revenue. Among the global retail sector, the average revenue loss was 1.4% and unsurprisingly the highest type of fraud encountered in this sector was physical theft of materials (45% of fraud cases). In the US across all sectors, the fraud type was pretty evenly split between management conflict of interest (21%), information theft loss or attack (20%), theft of physical assets (20%), and regulatory or compliance breach (17%).

  5. Registered TeamPlayer Red_Lizard2's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-28-07
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    13,490
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5
    Stat Links

    EBT Cards
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: theredlizard2
    #55

    Re: EBT Cards

    Quote Originally Posted by AetheLove View Post

    Also:

    New York > Locations > Ted's Hot Dogs

    ... which I recently discovered has a location in Tempe, Az. Don't know if you can get a Loganberry soda in AZ.


    Been there since I was growing up, usually pretty busy during Lunch hour. Was a place with Swedish/Polish food across the parking lot for awhile recently but they moved to Mesa (the last part I doubt anyone here would care but shush =p).



    Pretty sure they don't sell Longanberry soda though, never looked for it but seems they carry the standard stuff. Could probably find it somewhere out here, just take a bit of looking around (We have more Chicago stuff and some Midwest stuff then East Coast, besides NY style pizza).

    EDIT: On yelp someone posted a photo mentioning there drink was Loganberry so guess just never looked for it (or they used to have it *shrugs*)
    Last edited by Red_Lizard2; 07-05-14 at 12:04 AM.

  6. Registered TeamPlayer
    Join Date
    07-21-09
    Posts
    4,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stat Links

    EBT Cards EBT Cards
    #56

    Re: EBT Cards

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Lizard2 View Post
    Pretty sure they don't sell Longanberry soda though, never looked for it but seems they carry the standard stuff. Could probably find it somewhere out here, just take a bit of looking around (We have more Chicago stuff and some Midwest stuff then East Coast, besides NY style pizza).

    EDIT: On yelp someone posted a photo mentioning there drink was Loganberry so guess just never looked for it (or they used to have it *shrugs*)

    I never really cared for the Loganberry. Some people love it, and I like the idea of local things, but it was never for me. Also, I've never been to Tempe and don't see that happening any time soon. I'm glad that Western New Yorkers who have somehow got stuck in the desert can get a taste of home.

    White: what did you wind up buying for hot dogs?



  7. Registered TeamPlayer
    Join Date
    07-21-09
    Posts
    4,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stat Links

    EBT Cards EBT Cards
    #57

    Re: EBT Cards

    Quote Originally Posted by deathgodusmc View Post
    As for the example that you used basic math skills for what as i said it would be a more accurate answer. The variables are very small size of jar and size of beans. Calculating the amount of speeders on the road is a far more complex process of which most are not within eye shot like those jelly beans.

    As for whats bothering me lately let me know when you want a real answer. Until then consider the statement that im sure you've heard of dont ask questions you dont really want answers to.

    I told the story because I like stories and because it fit with your jellybean assertion. It had math and winning and a girl with great boobs. Those are good story ingredients.

    I asked what was up because you seemed... I dunno - ornery, cranky, blue. Something. I'm not Dr Feelings and I'm not prescribing a group hug.

    I hope your 4th had plenty of ketchup and a minimum of bitchy family.

    Cheers,


    AetheLove

  8. Registered TeamPlayer DJ Ms. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-13-07
    Location
    Plano, TX and Ruston, LA
    Posts
    32,362
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    43
    Stat Links

    EBT Cards EBT Cards EBT Cards EBT Cards
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: DJMrWhite
    #58

    Re: EBT Cards

    Quote Originally Posted by AetheLove View Post
    I never really cared for the Loganberry. Some people love it, and I like the idea of local things, but it was never for me. Also, I've never been to Tempe and don't see that happening any time soon. I'm glad that Western New Yorkers who have somehow got stuck in the desert can get a taste of home.

    White: what did you wind up buying for hot dogs?


    Nothing. I planned today so I wouldn't have to travel at all for work. Ended up having to take care of my sister's yellow lab all day instead of going shopping. Parents didn't pick up hotdogs, but hillshire farm kielbasa. Not much better than what they normally get. Mass produced bland sausage; similar to the Andouille they get, which is to say that the part of me that liked Louisiana cries inside. Had "Chinese coleslaw" with it. (Chinese because it's cabbage with ramen noodles in it...) Oh, and canned baked beans (already sweet, my diabetic and "health obsessed" mother added ketchup and molasses"). Need better job already to move out. At least Blah hasn't posted food porn in a while. /frustratedrant

    As for on topic, statistics and error propagation are actually interesting subjects when you get to apply them outside of theory. My experience is more with scientific data focusing on monitoring and maintaining turbines (yay, ME degree) and analyzing collider data, but it's all quite fascinating to me.
    enf-Jesus its been like 12 minutes and you're already worried about stats?! :-P
    Bigdog-
    Sweet home Alabama you are an idiot.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Title